If there ever was a leitmotiv for creativity that connects the centuries, it is that great works of art, be they in music, literature, plastic and visual arts, or even design, often seem so simple and logical in their being. It is deceiving for the most part, because these works are all the product of a sometimes long process that may not have been easy at all.
Everyone knows, one should never see sausages or laws being made. Perhaps a longer look at the birth of some of the great works of art, while not revolting or shocking, might at least raise an eyebrow or two. Einstein’s 99% perspiration rule applies, naturally, but it’s the remaining 1% that is of greatest interest, the inspiration that gave rise to the work, which can be banal, but also strange, even contradictory. The German poet and playwright Friedrich Schiller, for example, apparently found the smell of rotting apples very inspiring. For Richard Wagner, it was the feeling of velvet under his fingers. Picasso’s Guernica is self-explanatory, of course.
Even less elaborate works require intervention from the Muses in one form or another. Lucas Ruppli, for example, age 43, married, two children goes to work daily for Furrer- Jacot, leading creator of wedding bands. He has worked at the company for over 20 years and is essentially self-taught. Like many of his colleagues, he keeps abreast of all sorts of design-related developments in, say, architecture, or surface coverings, “the various trends, technical things,” he says. He also needs peace of mind, physical, mental and emotional wellbeing. But the spark itself emerges from something deeper, something that triggers a chain of thoughts that will lead to a wedding band. “I combine things that might not fit together,” he says in a calm and reserved voice, “for example, how can I make a wedding ring out of a pigeon that has been run over?”
It may sound provocative on the surface, but it makes sense, more it may be one of the fundamental laws of creativity: Ruppli needs the mental tension, the dissonance that seeks a resolution in a finished product. When the happy couples purchase his wedding bands then, the tension is present as well as the resolution, certainly an excellent prospect for a healthy and harmonious marriage.
Article by Marton Radkai